Senior Mechanical Designer
Senior Mechanical Designer
Mounds View, Minnesota
We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Designer for Solid Design Solutions based in Mounds View, Minnesota. The successful candidate will engage as a member of a highly technical and energized development team, performing a wide range of mechanical and machine design and build activities in a professional, cost effective and expeditious manner. Emphasis will be on a systems engineering approach. Primary direction will be received from a Project Manager, Client or Senior Staff Engineer.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop conceptual machine design approaches to meet requirements as defined in the Design Specification.
- Create 3D CAD solid models and engineering drawings, components and assemblies.
- Support activities of Project Managers and Machine Designers within SDS as required.
- Create and maintain 3D solid models, bill of material data, engineering drawings and product cost models.
- Creation, revising, and reviewing mechanical drawings.
- Receive, machine and assemble parts as required for new machine build and test.
- Design parts based on performance requirements as outlined within the created Design Specification.
- Selection of materials, fabrication process & finishing.
- Selection of purchased components for integration.
- Selecting & ordering enclosure housing interface components.
- Other duties as may be required to support the business activities of Solid Design Solutions, Inc.
- Represent Solid Design Solutions, Inc. in a professional manner in all dealings related to the company.
- Inspect 3D solid models created by other designers to ensure proper design methods are being used to ensure proper fit and function.
- Technical Associates degree w/5-10 years of experience
- BS degree w/0-5 years of experience
- Fluency in multiple Solid Modeling CAD packages. SolidWorks, Creo, ProE, Inventor, SDRC-Ideas, etc.
- Highly self-motivated, can work alone with little or no supervision.
- Good communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to read and understand product specifications.
- Ability to document discrepancies with detail and accuracy.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, able to work effectively both independently and in teams.
- Proficient with the use of Excel, Word and Microsoft Project
- Thorough understanding of various manufacturing processes
- Accountability – takes responsibility for decision, actions and results.
Experience with the following considered a plus:
- Web Handling.
- Robotic design.
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Mechanical stack-up analysis / Statistical tolerance analysis.
- Exposure to Industrial Design.
- Experience using machine shop equipment.